((What is the most obvious sign that someone is not good at English? Grammar! An old lady needs to pee really badly, but is afraid to go into the restroom because the sign says, “Toilet is ONLY for disabled elderly pregnant children.” The old lady is not pregnant and no longer a child, though her full bladder does make walking around hard! A small comma can make a big difference. After 30 hours of class time, this course will prepare you to understand the parts of a sentence and how to add style to your writing. A big plus is that it also prepares you to write great essays for the ACT and SAT.
- Perfecting Grammar and Style (PGS) is designed for grades 9-12 is a lecture- and workshop-based course that boosts student success on the ACT and SAT essays.
- Over the 15 sessions (2 hours/session), there will be two in-class quizzes and two take-home exams. PGS incorporates a functional review of grammar and writing before transitioning to timed writing strategies for analytical and argumentative essays.
- By the end of this course, students should be able to (a) identify functional parts of a sentence and paragraph in order to make conscious decisions about writing style and (b) understand how to write an effective ACT or SAT essay.
- Dates: 6/15 – 8/10 (No Class on 7/6-7/7)
- Time: Sat & Sun 5:00PM – 7:00PM
|1||Parts of Speech||Prepare for quiz|
|2||Phrases and Their Functions||Prepare for quiz||Quiz 1 – Parts of Speech|
|3||Clauses and Their Functions||Prepare for quiz||Quiz 2 – Phrases|
|4||Sentences – An Overview||Prepare for quiz||Quiz 3 – Clauses|
|5||Sentences – Part Two||Prepare for quiz||Quiz 4 – Sentences|
|6||Punctuation||Prepare for quiz||Quiz 5 – Sentences|
|7||Paragraphs – Part One||Prepare for quiz||Quiz 6 – Punctuation|
|8||Paragraphs – Part Two||Prepare for quiz||Quiz 7 – Paragraphs|
|9||Midterm Exam||Prepare for quiz||MIDTERM|
|10||Essays – Part One||Study for Quiz 8|
|11||Essays – Part Two||Study for Quiz 9||Quiz 8 – Expository-Analytical Essays|
|12||Essays for Standardized Tests||Analyze standard test essays and write analysis||Quiz 9|
|13||Drafting and Editing||Write first draft of final paper; bring to class||Quiz 10|
|14||Final Paper – Part One||Complete final paper; study for final exam|
|15||Final Paper – Part Two||FINAL EXAM|